If Apple decided to end the jailbreak wars, do you think it would take away the thrill?

- - - - -

20 replies to this topic

J#w_C!@w

Members

• 176 posts
Many people have said to me "If you like having a phone with more capabilities, why don't you buy an Android instead of an iphone?" My response is "If a phone comes with all the features without needing a jailbreak, there is no thrill to it all" This is because, when Apple puts so many countermeasures against jailbreaking it only makes jailbreaking more fun. Not only does it turn into a game, it also satisfies the ego. This is because when you sucessfully jailbreak you feel smart knowing that you were able to beat a system set by a powerful corporate giant. Especially when you know that doing it wrong can **** things up. So in my opinion I want the jailbreak wars to continue. Without all the countermeasures that Apple set, you don't get the same satisfaction to the ego. If Apple decided to end the jailbreak war, iphones would no longer be fun. Anybody else agree.

Chris

Better Than Ibby

• 64,887 posts
  • iPod touch:iPod touch 4G
  • iPad:iPad 3rd Gen
  • Mac:MacBook Pro
  • iPod:iPod nano
  • Apple TV:Apple TV 2G
Actually you can't screw anything up. You can always put an iPhone into DFU mode if you mess something up and then restore it from there.

I don't feel that way at all. I think this "game" is annoying. I hate not being able to update to the latest version right away because I'll lose my jailbreak. I hate not knowing when you'll be able to jailbreak when you buy a new phone. I might feel that way if I was one of the people developing the jailbreaks, but when I download a program on my computer and press a few buttons on my phone and it's jailbroken, there's no thrill for me.

Joanna

• 14,043 posts

View PostChannan, on 13 March 2012 - 06:01 PM, said:

Actually you can't screw anything up. You can always put an iPhone into DFU mode if you mess something up and then restore it from there.

I don't feel that way at all. I think this "game" is annoying. I hate not being able to update to the latest version right away because I'll lose my jailbreak. I hate not knowing when you'll be able to jailbreak when you buy a new phone. I might feel that way if I was one of the people developing the jailbreaks, but when I download a program on my computer and press a few buttons on my phone and it's jailbroken, there's no thrill for me.

You ruin everything, just GO. AWAY.

J#w_C!@w

Members

• 176 posts

View PostChannan, on 13 March 2012 - 06:01 PM, said:

If you don't like the jailbreak war, you can always get an Android. I know you may say that jailbreaking is easy. But when most of your friends are naive iphone users, when you tell them about what your jailbroken phone can do your literally the coolest kid in town. Especially when they get jealous and ask you to jailbreak their phone, it makes you sound smarter then them even when it's an easy thing to do. It's all about thrill and ego.

Chris

Better Than Ibby

• 64,887 posts
I have an Android phone, a Galaxy Nexus.

Everyone I've known that's had their phone jailbroken did it themselves AFAIK. Even my old dumb manager, who couldn't spell correctly or use proper grammer on my write-up, managed to jailbreak and theme her iPhone. Besides, I don't care about showing off my phone and trying to look cool. I just want my phone to do the things I want.

Towelie

Sexy Avatar Group

• 14,047 posts
  • iPhone:iPhone 4
  • iPod touch:iPod touch 2G
And it begins
How long will they mourn me, bury me a mutha****in 'G' ***** don't wanna die then don't **** with me
SkyFox

King003

Swag bitch

• 18,578 posts
When you "root" a Android phone, THAT feels satisfying. Takes no skill to jailbreak it. Rooting a device takes computer knowledge.
PMW is all I really need

kristina303

• 9,910 posts
  • iPad:iPad 2
Yeah rooting and flashing a rom is really hard. Anyone can jailbreak.
Posted Image

Makaveli

• 13,588 posts
Ditto. iPhone/iOS whether jailbroken or not still remains the simple option where [almost?] everything remains automated. Android stays as the more complicated but user controlled one. At least this is from what I've experienced.

Towelie

Sexy Avatar Group

• 14,047 posts
  • iPod touch:iPod touch 2G
I jailbreak because it USED to make me feel like an outlaw but now that it's legal it's not as fun anymore
How long will they mourn me, bury me a mutha****in 'G' ***** don't wanna die then don't **** with me
SkyFox

Blibby

Average Joe

• 4,996 posts
It would be better if the wars ended. The iOS would still be simple and user friendly, but If there were people who wanted to spice up their device, they could do that without having to go through the long and delicate process that jailbreakers do. There are packages that anyone would love to have, but since they are not presented in a user friendly manner, most people choose not to bother. I would love to have a simple switch like android does. That would make things so much easier. So then there would be the complicated android vs. the as-complicated-as-you-want-it iDevice that is still intuitive to use.

iPois0n

Members

• 3,030 posts
I personally think unlocking, rooting, and roming my G-Nex was harder then using say idk Sn0wbreeze. Redsn0w, Greenpois0n, and jailbreakme were all quite easy and straight forward. I had to use adb command prompts, set paths, download files, make a recovery, etc. just to unlock my G-Nex. But guess what at least I was given the option on day 1 to do it. Thanks Google!!!
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet. That's how WWI was started!"-PS3

Rhysoid

SLOOT

• 22,120 posts
Downloading the newest leak of symbian^3 and flashing it to your phone and knowing your like the only guy in the world with the leak cause no one else uses Symbian. Now that's the feeling!

View Postskilled, on 25 November 2011 - 09:37 AM, said:

Like I said I don't hate it. I just think it's a piece of shit.

Posted Image

SkyNoob

Members

• 12 posts
  • iPod touch:iPod touch 4G, iPod touch 2G, iPod touch 1G
  • iPod:iPod shuffle, iPod nano
I just like apple devices in general over android... Not hating on the androids but I think that apple phones and itouches are smoother.

Although it would be nice for apple to release and iPod touch with an A5 some time...

Chris

Better Than Ibby

• 64,887 posts
Or A5X.

0felex01

Members

• 6,232 posts
If Apple did give up jailbreaking, they wouldn't give up pirating apps.

Carpetburn

Members

• 4,164 posts
  • iPhone:iPhone 3G
  • iPad:iPad 2
Makes sense^.

inb4shitst0rm

Members

• 4,516 posts
I jailbreak because I like the ability to add on apps that do what I want. iOS is missing some things that I'm looking for.

Chris

Better Than Ibby

• 64,887 posts

View PostKing003, on 14 March 2012 - 12:18 AM, said:

When you "root" a Android phone, THAT feels satisfying. Takes no skill to jailbreak it. Rooting a device takes computer knowledge.

This is how you root a ThunderBolt on a Mac.

Introduction:

The following procedure is for Mac users wishing to root your Thunderbolt using ADB. The files I'm using in this procedure are the same files being posted everywhere else. The only difference in this procedure is that it is written for us Mac users.

It might look a little intimidating (due to its length), but there is actually a lot of copying and pasting you can do. I am also very detailed, for you noobies out there. I decided to put this together, because the 1-click methods out there still require user interaction, and in some cases the commands in the 1-click scripts do not finish because they hang at one or more of the ADB commands embedded in the script. This process allows you to copy and paste what I've written into the terminal window. Entire root process should take around 30 minutes.

One important thing to know: You will lose all apps and data. Meaning you will need to reinstall and reconfigure all email accounts, settings, and applications that you download from the market. You should also know that there is always some level of risk when flashing ROM's and using procedures such as this one to root. I wrote the procedure, but I take no credit for anything else. Check the credits at the bottom of this page for those who made this all possible. With that, let's get started.

The method of rooting your Android device as described in the article herein is solely for enthusiasts and not for the faint of heart.
IT WILL WIPE YOUR DATA. IT WILL WIPE YOUR DATA. IT WILL WIPE YOUR DATA.

Android Police, Team AndIRC and Android Central disclaim all liability for any harm that may befall your device, including, but not limited to: bricked phones, voided manufacturer warranties, exploding batteries, etc.

The instructions below assume you already have a strong familiarity with adb command lines – this is not for beginners.

Section 1 (Please reference this section if you post problems):

Files + Video:

1. It's extremely important that you download the necessary files to the proper place. If you want to watch a quick video on how and where to download the files properly you can watch the video in: Post #2. As an added bonus, I also talk about using terminal, adb, and what to expect when you are in bootloader mode throughout the procedure.

2. Download the following file to your Macintosh HD root folder: android-sdk-mac_x86.zip (includes all other files needed)
3. Open Finder - on your Mac - and double click the "android-sdk-mac_x86.zip" in your Macintosh HD root folder to extract.
4. Download the following file to your SD card: PG05IMG_downgrade.zip
5. On your SD card rename: PG05IMG_downgrade.zip to PG05IMG.zip
FYI -- Regarding Mac Disk Errors:

At various points -- throughout this procedure -- your Mac may display a disk error message like the one below. You can safely click Ignore when you see "The disk you have ejected was not readable by this computer" and click OK when you see "This disk was not ejected properly."

Do the following on your Thunderbolt:
  • If your TB is plugged into your Mac – unplug it now.
  • Then hit the menu capacitive button > settings > applications > development > check USB debugging > then click Ok.
  • Plug the TB into your computer (you will leave it plugged in for the duration of this procedure).
  • Swipe down the notification panel.
  • You will see "Charge Only: Select to change USB connection type" --> press it.
  • Select Disk Drive and then click Done.
Opening Terminal on the Mac:
  • Open applications > go to utilities > then open terminal.
  • Enlarge the terminal window for easier viewing.
  • Syntax notes:
    • You do not type the $ before any of the commands below. The $ represents the command prompt and is shown for illustration purposes only.
    • To avoid errors, for more complex commands, I recommended copying from this post to the terminal. All you need to do is 1) select the line in this window 2) hit command-c and then 3) hit command-v in terminal to paste it.
    • You DO need to type the period in front of each command. For example: the period here: ./adb devices is part of the command. It will not work without it. If you copy and paste lines, as I recommend, it is important to get the period during the selection.
    • Unless otherwise specified, you should never see an error after entering a command. If you did, double-check that you just entered the correct thing.
    • For the more curious, I will give you a complete rundown of what each command does in post #2.
    • Please do not PM me with questions or problems. Unfortunately, I'm only able to respond to PM's related to forum administration :/ If something doesn't work right, please select, copy, and paste the last several lines of your terminal session into a new post in this thread.
Enter or copy/paste the following ./adb (without the $) lines into terminal:

Tip: I copied and pasted my entire terminal output to the attached PDF. Feel free to use it as a supplement as you proceed.

$ cd ..
$ cd ..
$ cd and*
$ cd tools
$ ./adb devices

$ ./adb push busybox /data/local/
$ ./adb push psneuter /data/local/
$ ./adb push misc.img /data/local/
$ ./adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/busybox
$ ./adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/psneuter
$ ./adb shell /data/local/psneuter

$ ./adb shell /data/local/busybox md5sum /data/local/misc.img

$ ./adb shell dd if=/data/local/misc.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17
$ ./adb reboot bootloader

Section 2 (Please reference this section if you post problems):

Once you're in Bootloader
  • Bootloader should be highlighted in blue -> Press the power button to execute.
  • The screen will change and Fastboot will be selected. Around 10 seconds later it will then proceed to the next step.
  • You should see several files loaded and checked. Don't freak out at the warnings. The screen will eventually clear and you will see "checking pd05img.zip."
  • Eventually, you will be asked: Do you want to start update? Press the volume up button to say yes.
  • Once you do, you will see a progress bar in the upper right corner and a bunch of stuff going on in the middle. Just be patient and let it do its thing.
  • Press power to reboot.
Once Sense is booted up, unlock your screen to enter the setup wizard.
  • Hit Next > Skip > Skip Setup > Next > Next > Next > Finish
  • Then hit the menu capacitive button > settings > applications > development > check USB debugging > then click Ok.
  • Swype down on notification panel.
  • You will see "Charge Only: Select to change USB connection type" --> press it.
Files:
  • Open your SD card via Finder and delete PG05IMG.zip.
  • Next, download & copy this new PG05IMG.zip file to your SD card.

$ ./adb devices

$ ./adb push wpthis /data/local/
$ ./adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/wpthis

$ ./adb shell /data/local/wpthis
$ ./adb push hbooteng.nb0 /data/local/hbooteng.nb0
$ ./adb shell /data/local/busybox md5sum /data/local/hbooteng.nb0

$ ./adb shell dd if=/data/local/hbooteng.nb0 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
$ ./adb reboot bootloader

Once you're in Bootloader:
  • Bootloader should be highlighted in blue -> Press the power button to execute.
  • The screen will change and Fastboot will be selected. Around 10 seconds later it will then proceed to the next step.
  • You should see several files loaded and checked. Don't freak out at the warnings. The screen will eventually clear and you will see "checking pd05img.zip."
  • Eventually, you will be asked: Do you want to start update? Press the volume up button to say yes.
  • Once you do, you will see a progress bar in the upper right corner and a bunch of stuff going on in the middle. Just be patient and let it do its thing.
  • Press power to reboot.
Once Sense is booted up, unlock your screen to enter the setup wizard:
  • Hit Next > Skip > Skip Setup > Next > Next > Next > Finish
  • Swipe down on notification panel.
  • Now open up Finder and delete: PG05IMG.zip from your SD card.

$ ./adb devices

$ ./adb push su /data/local/

$ ./adb shell mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system
$ ./adb shell /data/local/busybox cp /data/local/su /system/xbin/su
$ ./adb shell chown 0:0 /system/xbin/su
$ ./adb shell chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su
$ ./adb reboot

Install Superuser from the Market:

Reboot:

To Test Root:

Download a root required app, like shootme, and test.

If it doesn't work, try rebooting a few times.

Credits:
  • Scotty2, jamezelle, jcase, and all of Team AndIRC
  • Thanks to scotty2 for WPThis, source here
  • Busybox was pulled from a CyanogenMod ROM, source should be available here
  • psneuter was pulled from somewhere, credit to scotty2, source here
  • All firmware credit goes to 911sniper
  • AC Adviser, DroidXcon, for helping me find the errors in my ways.
  • Link to original tutorial that this is based off of can be found here.
P.S. :P

http://forums.androi...hunderbolt.html

iPhone

Drop Dead Genius

• 53,402 posts
  • iPhone:iPhone 4S, iPhone 3G
  • iPad:iPad
Dear lord