#2 Chris230291

Thinking Different

• Members
  • 11,763 posts
  • iPhone:iPhone 5
  • iPad:iPad
  • Mac:MacBook Pro, Mac Pro

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:55 PM

i believe you can't because of the wifi chip used in iOS devices. its a hardware limitation form what i know.

#3 Wolvy

iWuff

• Administrators
  • 3,713 posts
  • iPod touch:iPod touch 5G, iPod touch 4G
  • iPad:iPad 3rd Gen
  • Mac:MacBook Pro
  • iPod:iPod nano

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:58 PM

The wifi chip in the iPod/Phone/Pad isn't capable of it. Your PC on the other hand is more likely to be able to. Even it though, could have potential hardware issues.

- If it ain't broke, get out of Tech Support -

#4 Chris230291

Thinking Different

• Members
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:00 PM

would there be any way of using say a server at home to crack wifi via your device? so the server does the cracking and then the iphone just displays the necessary info? or would we run into the same hardware limitation? i guess we would because it's all to to with the packet transfer rate or something... right?

#5 Wolvy

iWuff

• Administrators
  • 3,713 posts
  • iPod touch:iPod touch 5G, iPod touch 4G
  • iPad:iPad 3rd Gen

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:03 PM

View PostChris230291, on 28 January 2012 - 08:00 PM, said:

would there be any way of using say a server at home to crack wifi via your device? so the server does the cracking and then the iphone just displays the necessary info? or would we run into the same hardware limitation? i guess we would because it's all to to with the packet transfer rate or something... right?

It's a limitation of the wireless receiver and other associated bits from my knowledge, so the device either gets the signals and has no way of passing them on to the iDevice processor never mind elsewhere, or it simply doesn't acknowledge that they exist in the first place.

So really, your sunk unless you have a compatible laptop with you and lots of time to sit around and wait.

- If it ain't broke, get out of Tech Support -

#6 Chris230291

Thinking Different

• Members
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:12 PM

i think i read that its the packet transfer rate. air crack bombards the router with a bunch of shit and waits for it to accidental through up the password (or something like that). so i guess a remote system wouldn't work because it would still need the idevice to be able to meet the required transfer rate.

please, if im way off somebody that knows let me know. but im sure i read something similar to what i said when i first got my iPhone 4 and wanted to know if this is possible.

#7 A12danrulz

• Validating
  • 3,492 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:10 AM

First off, yes, you are WAY off base. Not trying to be mean but that is very wrong. As for the question, There is currently no way to hack wifi on the iPod. The kernel is a stripped down version of XNU, and since its stripped down it doesn't have the ability to enter monitor mode to receive wireless frames. The only way would be to recompile the XNU kernel, write in some touch screen drivers, then install it on iOS, which is a LOT easier said than done because the kernel is locked down with AES-256-CBC (which has a crack time longer than the universe will be around) with various high security kernel checks and bootloads.

Stupid questions get stupid answers.

#8 Trcx528

iPhone Pwner

• Members
  • 3,131 posts
  • iPod touch:iPod touch 4G

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

Simple answer: No

It is possible in theory. The wifi card's hardware is capable of monitor mode (as noted by PlanetBeing when working on the idroid project), but the underlying kernel/driver does not support that feature with the software. It may be possible to write a custom kext to load as the wifi driver, but that all depends on where the original driver was located. If the driver was compiled in the kernel we're SOL, and would have to recompile the kernel. Otherwise we might be able to unload the old driver (kext) and replace it with a custom one. Either way its not possible right now, but may be possible in the future.

#9 SoNyDiGiTaL

Graphic Designer

• Members
  • 3,402 posts
  • iPod touch:iPod touch 4G, iPod touch 2G
  • iPod:iPod classic

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:21 PM

Not like aircrack. Only with an application using standard passwords.

SSIDs have to fit into the scheme

Posted Image

#10 Chris230291

Thinking Different

• Members
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:21 PM

arh right cool. fuck knows what i was looking up haha

#11 d3nn

Diodora demartiniorum

• Members
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:56 PM

Can iDroid fix the wireless driver problem?
Posted Image

#12 Trcx528

iPhone Pwner

• Members
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:06 AM

Potentially, if the idroid project ever get android fully ported, I don't see why not. It's a software limitation, not a hardware issue..

#13 m33b0

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:41 AM

View PostChris230291, on 28 January 2012 - 08:12 PM, said:

i think i read that its the packet transfer rate. air crack bombards the router with a bunch of shit and waits for it to accidental through up the password (or something like that). so i guess a remote system wouldn't work because it would still need the idevice to be able to meet the required transfer rate. please, if im way off somebody that knows let me know. but im sure i read something similar to what i said when i first got my iPhone 4 and wanted to know if this is possible.
Very far off. Aircrack-ng doesn't "bombard" the router with useless data and wait for the router to accidentally show the password. If WPA/WPA2 then it waits for a valid 4-way handshake, if WEP then you just grab as many IVs (ARP requests in them) as you think it takes to crack.

View Postd12345678910111213nn, on 11 February 2012 - 10:56 PM, said:

Can iDroid fix the wireless driver problem?
No, as noted above the iPhone wireless chipsets can enter rfmon mode (radio frequency monitor mode), but does not have capabilities to inject! And it probably never will, as we all know Apple loves to lock up their technology so it can't be used for any other purpose than their own.

View PostTrcx528, on 13 February 2012 - 02:06 AM, said:

Potentially, if the idroid project ever get android fully ported, I don't see why not. It's a software limitation, not a hardware issue..
Again, it is not a software limitation, sorry, but we probably won't see anything past just scanning for networks in the area.
Like Linux? Like hax0ring? Visit us at http://weaknetlabs.com. :)

#14 BooCocky

• Members
  • 6,137 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:17 AM

@m33b0

I think it is possible to enable monitor mode, and with kexts it is possible to load drivers capable of packet injection. I ported Lorcon and pylorcon. Just need to load drivers. Comex released white which runs code in the iOS kernel. I also compiled Apple80211 framework for iOS to utilize airport functions for monior mode here:

http://ininjas.com/f...hp?topic=3048.0