Thinking Different

• Members
  • 11,763 posts
  • iPhone:iPhone 5
  • iPad:iPad
  • Mac:MacBook Pro, Mac Pro

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:04 PM

Posted Image

A series of patents published by the United States Patent and Trademark Office today (via PatentlyApple) suggested Apple is attempting to own as many Thunderbolt related trademarks and patents as possible. This is despite most being under the impression the technology is an open collaboration between Intel and Apple.

Perhaps the most noteworthy aspect of today’s patents is the possibility Apple might bring Thunderbolt to iOS devices. According to one of the patents published today, “a connection may be provided between a portable media player and a display, a computer and a portable media player, or between other types of devices.”

The benefit of supporting Thunderbolt connections on iOS devices, at least initially, would be to provide faster recharging and data transfer. It is unclear from the patents whether an iOS device would act as a Thunderbolt host machine, like a MacBook, or simply as a supported peripheral. As PatentlyApple pointed out, Apple would have to reengineer the Thunderbolt “connector to be flat enough to fit a USB-type of device slot.”

Apple is already experimenting with next-generation 30-pin connectors that would potentially support high-speed Thunderbolt-like connections. A patent originally filed in 2009, and reported by PatentlyApple in April 2011, showed that Apple is working on a new hybrid connector for iOS devices to support dual-lane Display Port technology (same as Thunderbolt).

-9to5mac.

#2 iNooblet

Trippy Mane 🔥

• Members
  • 2,428 posts
  • iPhone:iPhone 4, iPhone 3G
  • iPod touch:iPod touch 4G

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:57 PM

Sounds good to me

#3 Chris230291

Thinking Different

• Members
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:01 PM

thunderbolt is fucking awseome. stupidly highspeed file transfers and the ability to connect a whole bunch of different periferals is good. lol

#4 iPhone

Drop Dead Genius

• Staff Room Access
  • 53,402 posts
  • iPhone:iPhone 4S, iPhone 3G
  • iPod touch:iPod touch 4G

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

Yeah wait until Samsung copies it

#5 Chris230291

Thinking Different

• Members
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:43 PM

id imagine everyone will.

#6 Wolvy

iWuff

• Administrators
  • 3,713 posts
  • iPod touch:iPod touch 5G, iPod touch 4G
  • iPad:iPad 3rd Gen
  • Mac:MacBook Pro
  • iPod:iPod nano

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:23 AM

Won't they just find a way to speed up USB to be marginally faster then everyone will flock to that instead because their old stuff works on it?

- If it ain't broke, get out of Tech Support -

#7 Chris230291

Thinking Different

• Members
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:40 AM

thunderbolt is the future.

#8 Wolvy

iWuff

• Administrators
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:44 AM

View PostChris230291, on 07 January 2012 - 02:40 AM, said:

thunderbolt is the future.
like Betamax?

#9 Chris230291

Thinking Different

• Members
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:54 AM

it is.

#10 Chris230291

Thinking Different

• Members
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:22 PM

heres an introduction...

http://www.apple.com/thunderbolt/

its also worth noting that this was a collaboration between apple and intel, however the technology will makes its way across the PC market eventually.

#11 King003

Swag bitch

• Members
  • 18,578 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

Lol thought this was about the thunderbolt android phonr
PMW is all I really need

#12 0felex01

• Members
  • 6,232 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:06 AM

I'm fine with USB 2.0, just wait.

#13 Chris230291

Thinking Different

• Members
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:44 PM

none of you get it. screw you all.

#14 Wolvy

iWuff

• Administrators
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

View PostChris230291, on 08 January 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

none of you get it. screw you all.

I think everyone gets it. Just nobody cares. It's just another lame port nobody has on their PC. It'll join the ranks of Parallel, PS/2, firewire, SCSI, Scart, AGP, PCMCIA, Kryten's groin and game cartridge ports.

For those FireWire fans who are outraged here's a brief explanation as to why it is obsolete:

This is sure to enrage a few people, who will almost certainly point out that FireWire is quicker than USB, has a more sustainable speed and is still common on Macs.

But the truth is it's not as popular as USB, and it never will be.

For some reason, despite the incredibly shaky start USB had -- we can surely all remember the near certainty that plugging in anything in the early days of USB 1.1 would result in either a blue screen of death or some other virtual plume of smoke -- it still managed to beat FireWire to be the most popular data-transfer system.

Sure, you could argue popularity isn't everything, but try telling that to all the dorky kids at schools across the world.

For the time being, FireWire lives on as a way of transferring video from camcorders to PCs, but as time goes on and USB gets ever better, and wireless, we'll see the eventual demise of FireWire. At the very least, it's on the verge of obsolescence.

#15 Chris230291

Thinking Different

• Members
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:16 PM

thunderbolt will definitely take off.
and there's nothing wrong with firewire it's great, but no one really made any compatible hardware. thunderbolt already has a nice collection of shit and it's still a mac exclusive at the moment. thunderbolt is massively different to anything before it, not only can it do everything USB can, but i can do a whole bunch more and do them like a million times quicker. for example, you could daisy chain several monitors together from one single port. then from the monitor have a huge nas enclosure running, all at PCI e speed from that one hole on your machine.

if i single handedly have to make this take off, i will. what am i on about? it's already taken off in the mac community. so IF i had to i would lol.

#16 Wolvy

iWuff

• Administrators
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:19 PM

View PostChris230291, on 08 January 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

what am I on about? it's already taken off in the mac community. so IF i had to i would lol.

Well it would do that, if apple put a dildo on the end of the mighty mouse it'd take off in the apple community as Apple would have made it! :P

#17 Chris230291

Thinking Different

• Members
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:23 PM

View PostWolvy, on 08 January 2012 - 04:19 PM, said:

Well it would do that, if apple put a dildo on the end of the mighty mouse it'd take off in the apple community as Apple would have made it! :P

i don't think it would lol.
it's a new standard. you just find it hard to believe because you don't have it yet. it'll be just like the iPhone was to smartphones.

#18 Wolvy

iWuff

• Administrators
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:37 PM

View PostChris230291, on 08 January 2012 - 04:23 PM, said:

i don't think it would lol.
it's a new standard. you just find it hard to believe because you don't have it yet. it'll be just like the iPhone was to smartphones.

iPhone was revolutionary before its release lol, a port is a port. If people decide they need it, they'll use it, however they're likely to carry on with their USB now they've got it.

#19 Chris230291

Thinking Different

• Members
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:52 PM

View PostWolvy, on 08 January 2012 - 04:37 PM, said:

iPhone was revolutionary before its release lol, a port is a port. If people decide they need it, they'll use it, however they're likely to carry on with their USB now they've got it.

exactly, but when the technology makes it's way to all manufactures, people like you will be acutely aware of this shiny new port on your computer. then when buying future products, you might decide to look into thunderbolt peripherals over USB. it's not like your supposed to go and rid everything USB and replace it with a thunderbolt counterpart. lol. things like mice and keyboards obviously have nothing (im aware of) to gain going to thunderbolt.

also this topic is about idevices, im sure everyone would be hyped to get any means of connecting peripherals to their idevices. i know you can fuck about with the camera connection kit, but i think this would be much better. it supports everything.

#20 Wolvy

iWuff

• Administrators
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:53 PM

I'm struggling to think of a reason as to why it'd serve as a viable replacement on an iOS device to anything. HDMI does video, and people have just bought their HDTV's with HDMI ports, USB does data for wired, but apple are keen on things like Wifi sync so that's that ruled out too surely. As for charging, it's more a limit of the host machines power throughput to the USB, and the iDevices ability to recieve it without either burning out.

Tbh, what I don't get is why don't apple just use the most popular port and work with them on ways of making it better, rather than pointlessly making people choose. Surely, everything a thunderbolt connection can do could also be done by revising USB, which they'll do anyway. Technology would go way faster if people just worked together.