• Members
  • 26 posts
  • iPod touch:iPod touch 2G
  • iPad:iPad
  • Mac:MacBook
  • iPod:iPod nano

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

View Postbrutal truth, on 16 February 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

Meds is right on this, you can't do it because you don't have the SHSH blobs for 3.1.3. If you had an older model 2G it might let you do it without blobs but it sounds like you can either stay where you are or go to 4.2.1. Sorry!

Ok cool. Thought I did have an older model 2G. Thanks for the insight. I guess I'll upgrade to 4.2 then [emoji-E108] . So after I do that (to help with the performance issues that are bound to come up), would it be better to jailbreak or just follow what people do who have downgraded from iOS4?

#42 brutal truth

• Moderators
  • 8,695 posts
  • iPhone:iPhone 4
  • iPod touch:iPod touch 1G
  • iPod:iPod classic
  • Apple TV:Apple TV 2G

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

View Post2GGirl, on 16 February 2012 - 06:54 PM, said:

Ok cool. Thought I did have an older model 2G. Thanks for the insight. I guess I'll upgrade to 4.2 then [emoji-E108] . So after I do that (to help with the performance issues that are bound to come up), would it be better to jailbreak or just follow what people do who have downgraded from iOS4?

If your model starts with MC you need blobs to go to a different firmware than the current one (4.2.1). There's not a whole lot of jailbreak tweaks that really help with performance issues (I assume you mean lag?). The only ones that might help are ones that disable multitasking or allow you to manage backgrounded apps. Even that isn't overly helpful in preventing the occasional crash or lag.

Also I'm not sure what you meant by what people do who have downgraded from iOS 4?

#43 2GGirl

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:02 PM

View Postbrutal truth, on 16 February 2012 - 07:03 PM, said:

If your model starts with MC you need blobs to go to a different firmware than the current one (4.2.1). There's not a whole lot of jailbreak tweaks that really help with performance issues (I assume you mean lag?). The only ones that might help are ones that disable multitasking or allow you to manage backgrounded apps. Even that isn't overly helpful in preventing the occasional crash or lag.

Hmm. Ok, let's talk end result then. I had a 2G, enjoyed using it until iOS4 made it laggy and then ultimately killed it (literally - I had a software issue on it... according to how I understood what the chick at the Genius Bar told me).

Now, I would really just like to:

1) get out of iOS 2.1.2 (since I can't download any of my old apps on there, plus basic features like copy/paste, etc. weren't supported yet at that point) and
2) not have a laggy iPod.

So now I'm just trying to figure out a good way to achieve those two goals with my 2G.

About the model, on the back it says that that model number is "A1288".

View Postbrutal truth, on 16 February 2012 - 07:03 PM, said:

Also I'm not sure what you meant by what people do who have downgraded from iOS 4?

I meant going through the downgrading process :)

#44 brutal truth

• Moderators
  • 8,695 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

Model is found by going to Settings/General/About. Sounds like you have to go to 4.2.1 and then if it seems laggy you can jailbreak it and try a few things and see if they help.

#45 MEDS

Inuyasha Fanatic

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

I think I understand the error message. Could you go to setting/general/about and tell me the model number?

#46 2GGirl

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

Ahhh, so I was looking the wrong place for the model number *doh*. Ok, internally it says that the model number is: MB533LL

#47 brutal truth

• Moderators
  • 8,695 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

View Post2GGirl, on 17 February 2012 - 01:02 PM, said:

Ahhh, so I was looking the wrong place for the model number *doh*. Ok, internally it says that the model number is: MB533LL

Well that's interesting because you should be able to go to 3.1.3 without the blobs. That's the older model.

What I'm reading is that back then there was a one time fee to upgrade from 2.x to 3.x. It's not allowing you to go higher without paying. I'm guessing if you went to 4.2.1 it would ask you to pay. I could be wrong.

One possible workaround is to upgrade to 4.2.1 and then try to downgrade to 3.1.3. Another option is to try to upgrade to 3.1.3. with a custom firmware built in redsn0w or sn0wbreeze (jailbreak tools). I can't promise either of these will work.

#48 2GGirl

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

View Postbrutal truth, on 17 February 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

Well that's interesting because you should be able to go to 3.1.3 without the blobs. That's the older model.

What I'm reading is that back then there was a one time fee to upgrade from 2.x to 3.x. It's not allowing you to go higher without paying. I'm guessing if you went to 4.2.1 it would ask you to pay. I could be wrong.

One possible workaround is to upgrade to 4.2.1 and then try to downgrade to 3.1.3. Another option is to try to upgrade to 3.1.3. with a custom firmware built in redsn0w or sn0wbreeze (jailbreak tools). I can't promise either of these will work.

When I first started looking into getting iOS3 onto my iPod, I had turned up similar news. But what I read was that payment was needed to upgrade to iOS3 for only the gen 1 iPod Touches (and also that 3.1.3 is the highest os supported on those models). Still though, I actually thought to try paying a few bucks and installing that version (because maybe it would be the easiest approach). But when I tried to, I saw that it won't let me because the paid upgrade seems to be solidly for the gen 1: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2052

Anyway, I have no clue what the model number was on my previous 2G, but it was bought in June of 2009 and I didn't have to pay when I initially upgraded to iOS3 then iOS4, so I don't think there was ever a payment rule implemented on the gen 2s (if so, then I must've previously gotten the chance to upgrade before they put that rule into place).

I'll try the Shift Restore technique again from home (for in case the fact that my work computer isn't the one it's synced to is part of the problem). I had meant to try that last night but forgot to. I'll let you guys know how THAT turns out. If it doesn't work, then I guess I'll just go to iOS4 or try the 3rd party firmware option or something.

#49 MEDS

Inuyasha Fanatic

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:20 PM

*UPDATE*
Added all 5.1 firmware
Added the iPad 3's

#50 2GGirl

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

So I've tried doing a Shift restore numerous times. One of two things happen. Either it tells me that my device is not eligible for the requested build or that it won't let me install the firmware becuase iTunes cannot access the server.

It had hit me one day that the reason it might be checking up on my iPod's eligibility was because now Apple has to sign off on firmware. That's why I had decided to try to Shift restore while NOT connected to the internet (so that iTunes wouldn't check with Apple's servers). That didn't work, as you all can see.

Then I tried to go to a previous version of iTunes (figuring that maybe the most recent version of iTunes requires checking the server but maybe older versions don't). I found a copy of iTunes 8.2 and installed that and the same thing happened. I didn't want to go earlier than iTunes 8 (which I didn't find a copy of that I felt comfortable installing). The reason I didn't want to go earlier than 8 is because 3.1.3 was released while 8 was in use, so I didn't want to risk maybe triggering an error by using a version that came before it.

Anyway, aside from just giving in and going up to iOS4, do you guys have any ideas on things I could try next?

#51 rameshkarthik

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

@MEDS

I have iPod Touch 2G and I want to play Temple Run. So I thought of updating to firmware to 3.1.3 and I find that link in the starting of this post but when I click the link, I got the following error:

An error occurred while processing your request.

Reference #50.25f9a57a.1334415514.25abf6c

Hence, If possible can you update this link.

Thanks,

K.Ramesh Karthik.

#52 MEDS

Inuyasha Fanatic

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:31 AM

Hmmm that's interesting because I have no idea what that means. I'll look into it. I think this topic is due for an update anyway.

#53 Fisk

/\~{[fiskfox]}~/\

• Donators
  • 20,105 posts
  • iPod touch:iPod touch 4G
  • iPad:iPad 2

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:59 AM

This needs updating.
Get hip wit F!sk or ya trippin